Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Gutters Clear? Furnace Filter Changed?


I talk to my buyers about ''the small chance of a big problem.''  Stucco houses without deep roof overhangs and with clogged up downspouts can sometimes shift rainwater back behind the stucco and down the ''inside'' of the house's skin.  Over the course of 80 years, the framing can rot.  And you have to take all that stucco off--and put more back on--as you fix that problem.  Bills in the 40k-100k range are not as uncommon as you'd like to think.  Best way to avoid that small chance of a big problem is to clear your gutters of leaves from surrounding trees.

Right now is a perfect moment--that windstorm last weekend brought down a bunch of debris, and you'd like to get rid of it before the first rain shoves it down the downspout.

Two of my ;local favorites are Mr. Sparkle, and Gorilla Gutters.  Mr. Sparkle is offering $20 off right now.  They'd suggest you get the job done twice a year, but I bet for many of us, it's been a decade since the gutters were cleared.  Do it now!

And don't forget <a href=''http://www.airfiltersdelivered.com''>airfiltersdelivered.com</a>--it's the Costco for your furnace's air filters, and you don't have to deal with the Costco ''thing'' to get them.

They show up on your doorstep.

And you get friendly reminders to change out your filters every 90 days or so (don't tell anyone that I change mine every year, though it does fill up with dog hair.....).

I spent 2 minutes ordering a dozen two weeks ago, and they arrived like affordable magic on my door step last week. Again, I bet for many of us, the air filter hasn't been changed since you moved in.  A furnace serviceperson told me recently that really dirty filters can make your furnace work harder to do the job, shortening its lifespan.  So really, order several, take 30 seconds to change it out (I'll even come over to show you where!), and get with the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment